Yes, another portland cement substitute is needed!!
The problem with Portland cement
• Cement production is the third ranking producer of CO˙ in the world after transport and energy generation.
• Cement production is responsible for 7-10% of the world’s total CO˙ emission and 2% of that produced in the UK (according to the BCA).
• For every ton of cement produced, approx. 1 ton of CO˙ is produced from chemical reaction and the burning of fossil fuel.
• The UK produces around 12,000,000 tonnes of cement per annum
• Cement production is increasing worldwide by approx. 5% per annum. -from the article.
-Simone A Del Rosario